Modernization of the Armed Forces is a complex process, which includes cardinal changes of the material capacities in order to accomplish all the strategic objectives.
The Armed Forces aim at increasing the qualitative levels through their transformation into a professional force, well-trained ,equipped with contemporary systems of the technique and armament, modern and interoperable tools as well as capable of to accomplish operation of a larger spectrum. The process of modernization of the AF serves to this aim.
Modernization with Equipments
Modernization in every NATO country is expression of the growth of the national ambition to have a valuable Armed Force, to fulfil the constitutional mission for participation in operations to support peace and missions that support article 5 of NATO.
Ministry of Defence has considered the Modernization Process an important task that comes from the government program and the aim to be important part of NATO. After a transition period, where the Armed Forces have been supported only within the frame of help from other countries, there are some years since the Ministry of Defence has considered Modernization a necessity. This attitude of the Ministry of Defence has influenced the growth of the budget percentage of the Ministry and its participation in missions.
- Increase in the budget of defence at 2 % GDP some years ago, has created the possibilities of investment in the field of modernization in three types of Forces.
- Armed Forces (AF) have reached the level of participation of contingencies in missions led by United Nations, NATO, EU and other coalitions.
Modernization of Ground Forces
Investments in the ground forces have aimed at supporting the military forces to participate in missions led by NATO, UN, EU, or other coalitions, such as the mission in Iraq. It also aims at the support of the priority units according to Force objectives accepted by our country within the frame of fulfilling NATO standards.
Some of the contracts signed within this framework are:
- Purchase of equipments MADM,
- Purchase of equipments for EOD (engineering) company,
- Tactical Communication with Radios,
- Field Supplies,
- Operational Centres of movable Tactics,
- Purchase of light armament and munitions,
- Purchase of armament for OMLT missions.
Modernization of Navy Forces (Construction Project of Ships for Coastal Guard)
Modernization in the Navy Forces has the aim of increasing the operational capacities of the Albanian Costal Guard in seek-rescue and application of law in the sea.
Some of the Projects/Contracts are:
- Construction of ships for Costal Guard,
- Naval Surveillance System,
- Operational, Inter-ministerial centre for Navy.
Modernization in the Air Forces
Modernization of the Air Forces aims at their support to fulfil the mission.
A priority is the creation of a navy with helicopters able to support at a national level and participate in operations led by NATO.
Some of the projects are:
- Multi-role Helicopters (Military Variant),
- VIP Helicopter,
- Project for Air Surveillance System.
- Uniform Project
- Construction Simulation Centre
- Staffs Treatment